We were off. The seven plates of cookies were loaded up in the golf cart, and we set out to make the once a year visit to most of our neighbors. It was eight o'clock so we went to the houses with kids first. Not wanting to wake anyone up I made the girls knock. With Jannica staring in the glass on the front door and knocking, the people's dog started barking like crazy. The neighbor did not answer the door, so we left the cookies on the porch. (We found out later that she didn't answer because she was trying to get her baby to sleep. Thank you Kartchners!) At the next house we let Ryan carry the plate of cookies, which she dropped. I employed the 10 second rule and placed them as prettily back on the plate as I could. If you read the last entry you will know why. The third house we had Jac carry the cookies to the door and then let Ryan hold them until the people answered. Well, in her effort to stand still, Ryan couldn't help but trip over the doormat and drop the stinking cookies. Again, I quickly scooped up the cookies, hoped I got them all, and was ready with the plate when the people answered the door. The next stop had a skeleton covered in lights and a Santa cap on sitting on their porch, and the next house had a giant dog that was bigger than Ryan and freaked her out.
At the last house, Ryan was the first one up the steps. The people have a beautiful glass door and you can see right into their house. Ryan looked like she was going to ring the doorbell, but then veered toward the center of the door. Kelly and I thought she was going to knock but apparently, she was going to walk right in. The kid never slowed down and ran right into the glass door. She bounced back fell on the floor and spent the rest of the time trying to figure out what happened, whispering to herself "that door not open," and "we can't go in". We, of course, complimented the neighbor on his exceptionally clean glass.
All in all another year of taking cookies proves to be worth all of the trouble. Kelly put the kids to bed and I am going to bed a happy girl.
5 comments:
What a great Christmas memory and a great laugh for the rest of us.
I hope your neighbors appreciated their extra special cookies. What an adventure! We're so lame - no cookies for our neighbors.
Poor lil' thing. That is so funny though. By the way, I've about polished off the peanut butter cookies....by myself. Mine taste nowhere near as good as yours. Thanks again!
I think we could make a movie from your blogs. It would be so funny.
Thanks for sharing.
This one just cracked me up--thanks for brightening my day! I just keep picturing poor Ryan slamming into the glass door, and I start giggling all over again, which is not working in my favor as it's after midnight and I might wake up Megs. But still, FUNNY.
Post a Comment