Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Swimmin in the ditch

The girls and I came home to find the water guy purging the hydrant, thus filling out ditch with water. I let them out at the end of the driveway and ran in to get the camera. They were loving playing in the rushing water. I was a little nervous about Ryan getting sucked under the driveway, but she steered pretty clear of the hole. Ryan started out fully clothed but then wanted to be rid of her shirt. By the end of it she was begging to take her shorts and underwear off too.

I remember being little and being so excited for the gutters to have water in them. My cousin and I would look for snails, see how much "seaweed" we could pull up, build dams and go fishing. We never caught one, dang it. I am so happy that I live in a community that is still small enough that I can let my kids do all of these fun things.
"Swimming" in one of the left over puddles, Jac looks like a dead body floating in a puddle.

The water was almost completely gone, but Ryan was trying to soak up every last drop.

Jac soon realized that there was "bugs and stuff" in the water, that was it for her. When Jac left, Ryan begged me to take my clothes off and swim with her. I was tempted, but being on the side of the road was a slight deterrent.

This summer has been great, Ryan has become an expert frog, turtle and lightning bug catcher. She and Jannica are protective of the tomatoes and scream at the squirrels to stop eating them. The dirtier they are the better. I am going to miss all of the laid back fun we have had, but I am looking forward to having a little time to myself (kinda) while they are at school.

1 comment:

Heidi said...

The good 'ole days of being a kid!