Sunday, March 20, 2016

Amsterdam Day 236: Oman Day 3

Have you ever wondered how livestock is sold in cities in Oman? Have you ever wanted to watch the process happen. If your answer was yes to both of those, then you are in for a treat. 


I woke up early so that I could get to the livestock market in Nizwa. It happens every Friday and is the liveliest from 7am to 9am. I arrived around 8am and the place was crowded. It took some time to find a parking spot and then walk to the livestock market, and I was not disappointed.




Here are the quick basics. If tiu get their early, the buyers get to have a seat in the middle. The later arrivals have to stand in the outside. It seemed a little more exciting on the outside though as there was more opportunity to be trampled by a cow or a goat. The sellers parade their goods around the circle hoping to get in a bidding match for their items. The buyers then, for lack of a better word, fondle the animals to get a good feel of how strong they are. Or maybe it is to see how tasty they are. I don't really know. They sure seemed to like checking out their undersides. 


After 30 minutes at the livestock market, I spend the next little while wandering around the souq. They had different sections for crafts, vegetables, birds, meats, fish, and dates. 


My personal favorite section was the weaponry, particularly the rifles and the Khanjar. A Khanjar is a traditional dagger originating from Yemen. Worn by men for ceremonial occasions, it is a shortcurved sword shaped like the letter "J" and resembles a hook. 


And then there was a walk up the fort next to the souq. Up at the top, this one reminded me of Alladin. I just about started singing out loud and I really wanted to start jumping from roof to roof to get away from the guards because my monkey stole an apple. I didn't though, because I already have my princess back home. I love and miss you Jaimee. 


From the top of the fort, I saw a part of the souq that I missed. Huge carpets hung up for all to see. Pretty cool, but I don't think that they would fit in my carry on. 


I then started the next part of my journey. I was headed out to the desert. In my way, I found this group just hanging out in the side of the road. I want to say that they are wild, but who knows. 


At one point on the journey, I stopped in a small village. Apparently in the villages, there are a lot of areas that have been abandoned. That is part of the problem with revolutionizing your society and modernizing in only 40 years. What that does mean though is that there are lots of cool places to explore where you vehicle might get stuck. I went through this doorway and found myself in a dry riverbed. 


This is the riverbed that I drove through in my little Kia in order to get back to civilization. 

Anyways, I'm off tonight to sleep in the middle of the desert. Here is how it is described by the lonely planet book. 

Nomadic Desert Camp - This intimate camp, run by a Bedouin family, offers personal service in the heart of the dunes. Accommodation is in barasti-style huts with shared bathrooms. Included in the price is transport from Al-Wasil on the Muscat-Sur Hwy, a camel ride and a visit to a Bedouin village. There is no generator and therefore no air-con, which makes for a peaceful and authentic experience. 

I'll let you know how it goes. 


No comments: