A few highlights:



The Hagia Sofia is this cool church that was built in 500 AD. It started out
as a Christian church, but then when the Muslims took over, it became a mosque. This building is huge and it only took
5 years to build. Almost all of the pictures of Christ were removed, except for a few. It is now a museum and the old frescoes are being uncovered. It was kinda weird being in a Muslim country and seeing all of these pictures of Christ.
The Blue Mosque is a beautiful huge mosque. It
has 6 turrets (most mosques only have
one or two), that the religious leaders would climb and then call people to prayer. Now they have speakers. It is cool to hear some guy calling everyone to prayer in his sin
g-songy voice. Not so nice at 1 am, but hey I won't complain.
We went to the Bazaar where people are trying to rip you off
any chance they get. I got to use my haggling skills, I think I did pretty well, but the guy probably thinks we are stupid Americans.
The Spice Market was a beautiful array of colors and sounds. I wanted to buy all of the spices, but I would not known how to use them. Oh, well.
This is a picture of an asian toilet. That's right, squat, point, and shoot. Not real fun, but when ya gotta go, ya gotta go.
This next pic is of the inside of one of the mosques. They were all so beautiful and well taken care of. These people seem like they are very dedicated to the sanctity of their religion.
This is all that I am going to write for tonight, maybe I can get Kelly to fill you in on the rest. This was one of the best trips that we have been on. I love that I get to travel. I would have never dreamed that this is what I would be doing with my life. Man, I married well!
5 comments:
Glad you guys were able to get away for a bit. Looks like you had a blast. Beautiful pictures! Love and miss ya!
And I was excited that John took me to dinner and a movie. I think I really need to get that job with the airline. Better yet my child does so I can just travel. I was meant to travel.
Jamie - I loved your testimony on Sunday and I'm glad you didn't get arrested. Nicholas has a friend who is Muslim and he started Ramaden at our house if you care you can read about it on my blog from Labor day. I think that is so amazing to have had that opportunity. You really are a great person and I'm glad we know you. I'm glad my parents have decided to adopt you guys.
Okay not really Chim. I forgot Mackenzie was just on updating her stuff. Sorry. Delores
I am so jealous. I need to get out more.
How fun! I just read Kelly's post too--and it just sounds amazing! I'm glad you cry at the Primary program as well, I'm such a bawl-baby, it doesn't generally take much except seeing them all standing up there so proud and just beeming.
Post a Comment