Thursday, July 28, 2016

Amsterdam Day 365: 1 Year of Amsterdam

Today is day 365 making tomorrow our Amstiversary.  I thought I would ask the family about the last year and get their thoughts.  Here you go, unfiltered.

What is your favorite thing about living in Holland?
   Charlie: Is the computer closed?
   Beverly: Playing here with my friends
   Cameron: The new games  
   Ryan: Living in a more walkable city allows me to wander more on my own
   Mom: The many farms
   Dad: So many fun activities, events, and different attractions that are so close

What is your least favorite thing about living in Holland?
   Charlie: yes, I think it needs to be closed.  Is the computer closed?
   Beverly: Going to school
   Cameron: The bikes.  They are horrible.
   Ryan: Not having a lot of friends close by
   Mom: That everything is a lot harder to do
   Dad: Even though everyone "speaks" English, nothing is easy.  Making copies at the store takes 10 times as long

What do you miss the most about living in the U.S.?
   Charlie: Yea, you are wet.  I don't think so.
   Beverly: The pools and the beds
   Cameron: Pet stores
   Ryan: Chick-fil-a and my friends
   Mom: Convenience
   Dad: Easy access to fast food

What is the best thing here that the U.S. does not have?
   Charlie: unintelligable response
   Beverly: huh? dog and dollies
   Cameron: Albert Heijn (the main grocery store)
   Ryan: I have more international friends; best friends are from Italy, Japan, and New Zealand
   Mom: Fruits and vegetables are so much fresher and taste better
   Dad: I love the bike paths that connect everything and everywhere

What have you learned while living in Holland?
   Charlie: Ring around the rosie
   Beverly: Gymnastics, English and Dutch
   Cameron: Do not smoke
   Ryan: You have to be pushy to get on the buses
   Mom: The Dutch always tell you no first or that it is not possible, when it really is
   Dad: It is very difficult to learn Dutch, but I think part of that is that everyone speaks so much English

Where is your favorite place you have been?
   Charlie: I been to Starfall
   Beverly: I don't know.  Staying here
   Cameron: Italy, Canary Islands
   Ryan: Menorca, Paris, and Germany
   Mom: Menorca
   Dad: Menorca was pretty amazing for a family vacation, but I think my favorite place was Rome

How long should we live here?
   Charlie: All over the world.
   Beverly: 1 Day?
   Cameron: 1 Month
   Ryan: 2 years at the least
   Mom: Till they make us go home
   Dad: As long as we can because the U.S. is getting crazy

Where do you want to move next?
   Charlie: Next a tent
   Beverly: Atlanta
   Cameron: Back to Georgia
   Ryan: Mexico
   Mom: To a farm
   Dad: I'm pretty open.  I'd love to try another expat role or move back to Georgia

Who are some of your friends?
   Charlie:Will that be friends? Starfall.
   Beverly: Olivia, Lola, Brooks, Alessia
   Cameron: Alex
   Ryan: Indy, Carlotta, Hikari, Lucy
   Mom: Sonja, Zoe, Bonnie, Jennifer, and more
   Dad: Cary

Where is your favorite place to eat?
   Charlie: I eat strawberries.
   Beverly: The hot dog restaurant
   Cameron: Burger King, no, McDonalds
   Ryan: Home
   Mom: Dignita
   Dad: Buenos Aires Grill

What is your favorite Dutch food?
   Charlie: I think of food in a bowl
   Beverly: Ice Cream, cereal, apples, bananas and crackers
   Cameron: Cheese, no, oliballen
   Ryan: Oliballen
   Mom: Goat cheese and gouda
   Dad: Gouda cheese

What is your favorite Dutch tradition?
   Charlie: Tradition is a word
   Beverly: Playing and having fun together, and having a picnic with my friends
   Cameron: I don't know
   Ryan: I like King's Day, St. Maarten's Day, and Sinterklas
   Mom: St. Maarten's Day
   Dad: 2nd Christmas

No comments: