The music may not have been beautiful, but it was fun. There were songs about the smokey mountain blues, a yodeling preteen and another song about having a big dinner made of the opossum that was in the singer's headlights. Sometimes I just love living in the south! The city of Tallulah Falls has live music, a big fire and potluck every Saturday in the summer. You make a little donation, dig in and enjoy the atmosphere. Kelly and Ryan roasted hot dogs and marshmallows while Jac ran around playing hide and seek with some kids that were there, I don't think she even knew their names. Ryan and Jake played endlessly on this little hill. Ryan loved all of the food and was the dirtiest kid there. She learned how to roll down the hill and Jake learned to chase her as she rolled down the hill (he wasn't a big fan of rolling).
We headed back to the cabin before it ended, we had to get up early for church the next day.
Which brings me to Squirrel Burgers.
We got to the church a little late and waited out in the hall for the sacrament to be passed. Jac saw a picture of the New Era sitting on a table and said, wisely, "Look! This is how they say "The Friend" in their language!" Kelly had to gently remind her that we were still in the United States and that the people here spoke English. What a well traveled kid though, huh?
Anyway, after the sacrament we snuck in a sat down. The first lady to speak bore her testimony on missionary work and how she loved to feed the missionaries squirrel and bear and wild hog when they ate at her house. Kelly and I turned to each other and said "did she just say squirrel" and, "I think she did!" a few minutes later I asked the guy next to me if it was true and he nodded. Again, I love the south, never ending laughs!
Of course later on after Sunday school my wonderful husband had to go get the recipe for how to cook squirrel, apparently it has to be in season and this was not the season. He was really fishing for an invite, luckily, the lady had no squirrel to offer as it is not squirrel season. Darn it! (don't I sound convincing?)
All in all this was one of the most fun trips that we have been on in ages. The girls still talk about it! Ryan is still telling about her rainbow fish and Jac just keeps trying to forget the fish bleeding, gutting and eating.
2 comments:
Squirrel, Bear, & Wild Hog...mmm, mmm, good? I don't know, some parts of the South I think could be considered "foreign"...isn't "Redneck" a foreign language? Too funny, though.
I love pictures of Jake and Ryan together. They are so cute. Good rundown of the weekend. I love the part about Jannica and the New Era. That is hilarious.
Post a Comment