After much price comparing Wal Mart turned out to be the cheapest place to get pumpkins. So off we went to the "pumpkin patch" (AKA cardboard bins in the garden center at WM). My kids were so cute! They wandered through the field looking for the best pumpkin. Afterwards we went on a little hayride through the hardware/paint department. The crisp autumn air was so refreshing. As we wandered up and down the shoe aisles admiring all the beauty of nature we could not help but feel blessed.
Okay, so maybe I am feeling a little jealous of everyone and their trips to farms and pumpkin patches. But still, picking out pumpkins at Wal Mart was fun and then we got to carve them after church the next day. Ryan kept saying "disgusting" and refused to touch the guts. When she finally did, I think she touched it with one finger and then was done. She was more interested in the carving part. That kid nearly cut my thumb off when she suddenly grabbed at the knife I was holding. She made sure that I was cutting the pumpkin correctly and then I lost her to Shrek.
Seeing Ryan brought back a fun Jannica memory. The first time we carved pumpkins with her and Natalie. They were Ryan's age and totally disgusted. Jannica would not touch the guts at all. I love having Ryan meeting milestones that I was there to watch Jannica meet. I am able to share with Jannica how cute she was, how much easier she was or how much worse she was. Jannica spent so much time trying to draw the perfect Frankenstein face on her pumpkin and was getting so frustrated that she did not have a smooth surface to work with. She almost ended up in tears. Hormones. Kelly and I kept saying "this is a fun thing" "we are having fun, remember?" She was happy in the end, cleaned out her pumpkin like a trooper and then let Kelly carve. We now have four pumpkins on our weed covered front sidewalk. It has looked abandoned, neglected and spooky all year, so now it fits the season. I meant for that to happen.
Waste not want not, so in true Martha style I saved some pumpkin seeds to plant next year and roasted the rest. Kelly and I haven't decided if they are good or not. They are not bad, but kinda hard to chew up.
We love Halloween!
1 comment:
I'm so glad that my kids are not the only ones that find the pumpkin guts "disgusting." And it doesn't help that Harry feels the same way. We may have to try to do one this year if we have time. Looks like you guys had fun. Take a picture at night of what they look like and post it.
Post a Comment