Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Stupid Lies

Tonight I sent Jannica up to her room to go to bed, like she does every night.  A half an hour later I couls still hear some rumbling about, so I went to see why she was out of bed.  I must have startled her when I opened her door because she didn't have enough time to lay down.  I asked her what she was doing as she was quickly trying to hide something.  So I went over and discovered that she had her mp3 player and was trying to listen to it.  Not a big sin and surely nothing to get in big trouble about.  So I asked her when she grabbed it.  I was thinking that she had just grabbed it because of all the noise that I could hear.  She replied with, "I don't know know how that got there."  She was acting all tired like she didn't know what was going on.  Good thing I'm smarter than a box of rocks though.  I just sweetly said, "You are grounded for a day for lying to me.  Not for trying to listen or hide the mp3 player, but for lying.  Now, would you like to make it 2 days?  Just lie to me again!"  Then I asked her when she grabbed the mp3 player.  Then miraculously, she remembered all the info.  She wouldn't have been in any trouble if she had just told the truth.

It's kind of funny to think that she thought, "I don't know how that got there" would work when she clearly had been playing with it.  It makes me think of when I was a kid and I wonder if my parents remember any stupid lies that I thought I could get away with.  I'm sure I did. 

6 comments:

T said...

That is so funny! I laughed out loud at the "good thing I'm smarter than a box of rocks". What a smart mom you are. Love your new Halloween page.

Jenkinson Family said...

How funny! sounds like my house.

The Schaefer's said...

I'm going through the EXACT same thing here at our house with Hannah. I get so frustrated sometimes.

turlington clan said...

thats funny. i used to do that all the time. but they just seem to get better and better at them. They become more believeable. you crack me up though. i love your parenting methods. haha

Heidi said...

Oh that sounds like my Emma. She is six. How old is Jannica? My poor picked on Emma does have an i-Pod though so she likes to use mine and thinks it is hers.

Heidi said...

Okay I am a dork! Jannica is 8 and it says that on your blog.