This is a picture of three military personnel with big guns paroling the grounds of the Eiffel Tower. This may be a common sight in third world countries, but it kind of sticks out in a civilized city like Paris. I so wanted to ask them to pose for a pic with the tower behind them, but I didn't think that was a great idea. I was even a bit scared to take this from behind.
We saw patrols like this walking around all the major sights. This one happened to be three police officers walking around the Chrisfmas market. There were four military personnel at each of the entrances to the Christmas market. Additionally, there were so many patrol cars going throughout the city with their lights blazing. It made you feel like nothing bad could happen.
Warning: Soap Box Moment
Several people have questioned our sanity for taking our children to Paris during these times. They ask why we aren't worried about what could happen. My first thought is that I have five of them, so I have some to spare. That is a joke and not a very funny one at that. But I think it helps to think rationally and to do some basic risk management. Is Paris really less safe than it was two weeks ago? Of course not. It may just not have been as safe as many believed. In fact, with all the security in place, Paris may be one of the safest big cities in the world right now. And it's probably safer now than going anywhere around my home town of Amsterdam.
Again, thinking rationally about going to Paris, what is the real likelihood of being hit by a terrorist attack. I can say that it is infinitesimally smaller than my risk of dying in a car accident driving to Paris. But there are very few people that would question my sanity over risking my children's life's by taking them on a five hour car ride.
Soap box over.
Our friends had an experience in Paris while they were there which I thought was very appropriate to share. Stolen from Amber without her permission.
"I wanted to share an interesting experience I had tonight. After we left the Eiffel Tower and were on the search for dinner, we climbed onto the metro and began talking about where to go next. A nice French business man was sitting next to Anika, and was listening to her talk. He said to her "Do you speak English?" She replied yes. He said "Are you American? Did you come here from America?" And she said yes again. He then put down his newspaper and said (looking at all of us) "Thank you for coming to Paris. Despite what happened. Thank you for coming to visit our city. We are a strong city. I hope you have a wonderful stay."
Thank you random nice French guy! Your welcome! We are so glad to be here. We have noticed your strength, and we love your beautiful city. 🇷🇺"




No comments:
Post a Comment