Friday, November 27, 2015

Amsterdam Day 122: Thanksgiving

It's Thanksgiving day. I don't have work today since I still get American holidays. But the kids all still have school, since the Dutch don't celebrate Thanksgiving. So a big meal is not going to happen. No turkey. No mashed potatoes. No stuffing. No pilgrim plays. And no family. But no fear, we are having our expat "family" over on Saturday and we will enjoy all of the above. 

So what do you do on Thanksgiving day without most of the kids. We take Charlie to a fancy smancy Dutch art museum. We walked into the Mauritshuis Museum with Charlie and I immediately felt everyone's eyes on us and how dare we bring a three year old to this museum. After going through with him, I think they were right though. As we walked up the stairs to the first room, Charlie began to say, "Let's go find a tree frog."  Sure, why not. Let's go find a tree frog in a fancy smancy museum. 


The most famous piece in this museum is Vermeer's "Girl With a Pearl Earring."  I'm not much for art, but I do like this piece. There is something about the lighting and the her look that I just found amazing. 


Charlie was pretty impressed also. It might have been a different painting that he was impressed with though. He was laughing in the picture because of the picture below. 


This Rembrandt has people tickling a girls feet. That is pretty funny to a three year old, who then also had his feet tickled. 


And low and behold, what did we finally find in the art? The tree frog. Ok, maybe it wasn't in a tree, but it was a frog and we found it. Not pictured here is the amazing detail in the cow pie next to the cow. 


The Mauritshus museum is located in downtown Den Haag (The Hague). The view of the city looks pretty cool across from the canal. 


And as we were leaving the city back to our car, I couldn't get Charlie to follow. He saw the lights on the OPEN sign and went directly to it. I had to go over and pick him up to get him away, but not before I took a picture. Because I am that good of a parent. 


No comments: