We started the day bright and early (by some miracle they slept in until 9). And we headed towards Bruges for an exciting day of exploring. On our way we saw signs for Sint-Niklaas. I'm not exactly sure what I expected with a town named for St Nicholas, but visions of sugar-plums danced in my head. So we diverted the car and headed to downtown Sint-Niklaas.
When, what to my wondering eyes should appear, not a miniature sleigh, and eight tinny reindeer, but a Belgian Waffle stand.
Their eyes-how they twinkled! There smiles how merry! There cheeks were like roses, his nose like a cherry, cause it was kind of cold.
There droll little mouths were drawn up like a bow, and the beard of their chins was as white as the snow, covered with powdered sugar.
They spoke not a word, but went straight to there work, and filled all their bellies, then turned with a jerk. Now Beverly! now, Charlie! On, Bevely! On, Charlie (because I have to repeat myself often)! To the top of the parking deck! to the car we will go! Now dash away! Dash away! Dash away all!"
The bell on the town hall seemed to be ringing constantly. I wanted to think that it sounded like a Christmas song. But I think that it is really wishful thinking.
We continued on to Bruges and after a long time trying to figure out how to park, we began to explore the old city.
We debated with ourselves on if we should go to the top of the bell tower, 366 steps. Charlie has done more in the past going up Amicalola Falls, but I just didn't feel like we were going to make it. So we didn't even try.
The drive into Bruges was amazing. The countryside looked almost like we were driving through New England with all the leaves changing colors.
And in the city, there were some beautiful spots with the leaves in amazing colors. The city was pretty cool with more amazing canals everywhere. Although the kids did not have as great a time exploring Bruges. It is amazing how a powdered sugar Belgian Waffle makes you feel about a place.








No comments:
Post a Comment