It was so great to have visitors! My kiddos were in heaven! I have forgotten how to talk to people. It took a day for me to figure out how to have a conversation. Amber was so sweet. She kept me very entertained.
Also, it did not rain ONCE! That is luck!
We took a little boat ride with the kids. Somehow it worked out that I sat with the boys and Amber sat with the girls. Charlie, at one point, said "I get out the boat?" And then tried to "get out the boat." Amber just watched the circus around me. A circus that I am used to, and I don't notice so much until I have spectators. She couldn't have helped anyway. There was a Hindu guy that was not moving an inch. Sucks for him. I plopped do right next to him with the monsters.
Our trip alone into Amsterdam was less chaotic. I was able to show off the Jordaan, central station (packed at 9 pm, the walk up and play grand piano with RENT wanna be's playing on it, and volunteers with signs for the refugees.) We rode a tram to Leidseplein and got some cheap dinner. We visited The Bulldog (a very popular/tourist friendly coffieshop) but the pot smell was so overwhelming, I almost puked and we turned right around and got out. I have no idea how people want to smoke stuff that smells like B.O.
On Saturday we headed out to a mini Netherlands enclosed in a big theme park like place. It's like a giant pioneer village at Lagoon.
It was cute, and I did take pics here.
Amber got her first real lesson in Dutch culture here. Anika was waiting nicely for a little girl to get off this bike. The mom was pushing her around and I told Anika to stay close, but not too close. She was about 2 feet from the lady at all times. Then I saw a boy come walking up, heading for the bike. I told Amber to go tell Anika to stay even closer because the boy was going to take it. Sure enough, when the girl started to get off, the boy tried to grab the handle bars from Anika. Luckily I had told her that you can't be nice here or people will walk all over you. She held her ground and got a turn. Amber was a little shocked at how blatantly pushy the kids are here. That's just how it is, and the parents don't stop it at all.
Ryan got her turn, and then I walked the bike to the boy and gave it to him. He was suprised that I would do it. We haven't experienced a lot of brotherly love here. It's just not a thing.
After the play, we went to the wash house to learn all about the sucky lives of our ancestors.
Later we climbed a windmill, rode a tram and realized that we had not even seen half the park, but alas, it was time to go.
That night Kelly and I went out with Amber to a Japanese restaurant near the house. For one price you can order 5 rounds of 4 items each time. You eat til you want to puke. It is a great atmosphere. You order the rounds one at a time and they bring each little item out as soon as it is ready. The waitresses are back and forth to your table bringing food and taking your next order from the little ordering card. It's fun to see what other people get and to be able to try a little of everything. The restaurant is round and has a very cruise ship feel to it. I can't decide if I really like it or if it is totally lame.
We took a little bike ride down to Disney High so that Amber could see the girls' daily commute. It was such a nice fall night and we were able to chit chat a little as we rode.
Oh, how we miss our friends! It seemed so normal to have them here and playing again. Things here are great, but it was so nice to have a little bit of HOME come for a visit.
I did not take a lot of pictures. You can see Amber if you want more. She took enough. As she is the family photographer, that is expected of her.

No comments:
Post a Comment