Saturday, October 03, 2015

Amsterdam Day 67: Leiden 3 October Festival

Jaimee and Amber took off with the girls today to go explore the countryside. I took off to go explore Leiden. 


The boys were pretty excited because we were taking the train. The only problem was that I couldn't figure out how to use the transportation cards. There were no machines around to checkin like there normally is and I didn't have time to ask around. So we went for a free ride. 

We went to Leiden for the 3 October Festival. The reason Leiden parties so hard on the 3rd of October each year is that Leiden was liberated from Spanish occupation on the 3rd of October 1574. During the so-called Eighty Year War with Spain (1568-1648), Leiden was besieged by the Spanish twice. The second time, from May-October 1574, conditions grew really harsh: about half the population died from starvation. The city did not surrender though. In order to set Leiden free, the Prince of Orange commanded the dikes to be broken. This was done to flood the area, so Leiden could be reached over water. Unfortunately, the wind was unfavourable for a long time and it took another two months for the so-called Geuzen (let’s say, Protestant pirates fighting the Spanish) to reach Leiden over water. The Spanish were beaten, the siege was lifted and the starved Leideners were fed with herring and white bread. Also, according to legend, a pot of hutspot (carrot and onion stew) was found in one of the deserted camps of the Spanish army. This is why Leideners still eat hutspot for dinner on the 3rd of October, and get free white bread and herring from the city council (if they sign up in time, that is). Possibly the best part of the story is that Prince William of Orange rewarded the city of Leiden for their bravery by giving them Leiden University; the first university in the country!

So we exited the train station and we saw probably one if the biggest festivals I have ever seen. There were people, games, food, and music over every road that I could see. It was almost impossible to walk around because there were so many people. 


We crossed over a canal and I saw this sight which I thought was fun. An old time windmill and a temporary Ferris wheel. 

After eating Cotten candy, listening to all sorts of music, and telling the kids no for the 50th time (for rides, candy, more Cotten candy, more rides, ice cream etc.), Jaimee came by to pick us up. It was interesting. Though my biggest regret is that we did not have any bread and herring. 

No comments: