Saturday, October 17, 2015

Amsterdam Day 82: Stocking up in Atlanta



I landed in Atlanta and the very first thing I did was drive to Kroger. I had a list from back home of difficult or expensive things to find. First on my list was syrup. Not sugar free or light, but the good tasting kind. 4 bottles. Then Worcester Sauce. We can get Worcester Sauce in Holland but it is really expensive for a small bottle. 2 large bottles. Apparently imitation vanilla comes in a powder here. I'm not really sure what to do with that. 2 bottles. A huge carton of goldfish, just cause. In the U.S., we have the benefit of whole aisles full of cereal. In Holland, we do not. We don't even need brand name cereal, just the Kroger brand of Captain Crunch. 2 boxes, but that won't last long. That was about it and I was then headed to Target next. 

Target has the diapers and pull-ups and those are a lot cheaper in the U.S., but they take a lot of room. 4 big boxes. Candy in individuals wrappers, the kind needed for sharing with others in a situation like when you decorate your house and wear costumes, is difficult to find. 3 very large bags. Clothes are also quite a bit more. 3 t-shirts. 

We have found that we need a new laptop computer also with the increased amount of school work given, and the old one is really slow. So we added a laptop to the list. Not only is the laptop more expensive in Holland but there is a huge tax added on to the cost. 

I quick trip to Peachtree City was required to pick up our mail, it's difficult to get mail forwarded internationally. I also picked up the vitamix that we had left with a friend. And I dropped off a stuffed animal at Amber's that Anika had left when they visited. A visit to Ambers though always includes getting Anika's hand me downs for Ryan. Basically a whole suit case full of clothes for Ryan, which she loves very much. 

I was able to stuff this all in 3 suit cases and I was returning back to Holland with all my goodies. I still have two boxes at work that I need to bring, but I just can't seem to find the space. 

No comments: