Sunday, August 16, 2015

Amsterdam Day 19: Grocery Store

There are some interesting and cool things about going to the grocery store. The biggest challenge is trying to figure out the small differences between items. Like is this laundry detergent or is it fabric softener. Is the chocolate bar milk chocolate or dark chocolate, or does it even matter since it is still chocolate. 

Here is one thing that makes me uneasy but Jaimee has been okay with for years. The eggs are not kept in a refrigerated condition. They are just out in the aisle like cereal or peanut butter. 


And then in the upper most corner, I found these little eggs. My Dutch is still not good but I think those are quail eggs. I am going to have to try them soon.  


One of the best things about the grocery stores in the Netherlands is the Nutella section. Not only do they have Nutella, they have off brand Nutella like spreads with a lot more options. There is white chocolate spreads, more nut spreads, chocolate spreads, and whatever is in the  blue one. Again, see above. I have no idea what is in that one since I do not speak Dutch, yet. 


Speaking of things that I am going to have to try, hot dogs come in a can. It sounds good to me but Jaimee is refusing to try and meat from a can that is not refrigerated. Does that sound like a double standard with the eggs? The next day Jaimee is in her Dutch classes, we are getting hot dogs in a can. 


There are a lot more interesting things in the grocery store but we will end with this. Cool Ranch is now Cool American. Doesn't that make you proud to be American. 





3 comments:

Unknown said...

Does this mean you're grocery shopping on a Sunday?!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kelly said...

I actually wrote the blog post the day after the event. Some of the blog posts are not exactly in consequential order. But the days are more about what I write that day. Otherwise day 14 would be, I went to work again. It took a 4 minutes 37 seconds today. But don't tell anyone.