Saturday, August 08, 2015

Amsterdam Day 12: Picnic

What a beautiful end to a sucky day.
We started the morning getting ready to meet new friends in the forest for biking and a picnic. I didn't have any food to pack a picnic, so we needed to stop at the store.
 We started out a couple minutes late. A few minutes into it I decided that we needed a new bike for Cam. Because he couldn't keep up and we were going to be doing a lot of riding.
So why not swing by the bike shop? I sent Jac for groceries (she got confused and went slow so I ended up shopping). I took the Littles and found a bike shop up the road. Things were getting dicey, so I called Kelly to come help. (He went to the wrong bike shop). We were hoping to find a bike for Cam, there were none, but they had one for Bev. It was a little large, but she was ok on it. Alas, the bike shop only takes cash, so I had to run back down to the grocery store for cash. (And get the groceries, and text the picnic date we were running late, and where is Kelly? !?!)
We all trekked back up and got Bev's bike. I put Cam on Bev's bike promising he would get a cool bike later. Charlie would not get back on my bike because He is the devil. 
We are all on and ready to go, and Bev starts freaking out. Because, she is Bev and she can't start and stop in the bike very well and she is scared. I got everyone across the street, Bev and Cam all stressed because they are on different bikes. 
At this point I got all snippy with Jac and then called the whole event off. We were an hour behind schedule. 
We turned around and headed home with me talking in my overly calm nurse voice. "You are doing great. You are so good at riding bikes. We are stopping soon. Get ready. Okay, it's time to go again. Ok just move the pedal forward. Take your time." Inside I am screaming "WHERE THE HELL IS KELLY?!?!?"
We made it home with Ryan crying because she missed out on a play date and is so homesick for friends. I cuddled her for a minute and we turned on The Sound of Music. That always helps. I told Jac i was sorry. I took Cam and we got a great bike for him. And Bev practiced biking with a little help from me. 

At 5 I had no plans or food for dinner. So, Jac stayed with the kids and I went for picnic supplies. I got home and everyone got on their bikes and we were off to find a picnic spot. We were so happy to find the cute spot you saw at the top. We enjoyed a tasty meal on croissants and sampled different sodas. Kelly got there later and we went for ice cream. 
Charlie slept in Bevs room that night instead of mine. HALLELUJAH!
There are some sharp learning curves here. Hunger = disaster is the one we are trying conquer. 
Please note the picture at the top was not staged. Tender mercies abound if I take time to notice them.

No comments: