Thursday, August 20, 2015

Amsterdam Day 24: First Day of School




Let's preface this picture with the fact that Kelly took it.

So my cute, helpful, sweet girls started school yesterday. I am officially all alone in the world now. 
Below is what I am at home with. Totally fulfilling and all that. 
Where is Charlie? Probably riding around the block naked (ouch, right?). That happened a couple times yesterday. 
Let's get back to the girls. 
Jac is in 10th grade at the high school they model all sitcom/Disney tv shows after. The lockers are huge. The kids are beautiful. There is no real dress code. (per Ryan "I was coming in from recess and saw a girl with a BELLY SHIRT!") 
Jac may be feeling a little overwhelmed and intimidated, but she has found a couple friends and will work it out. I think she is trying to decide on this year's persona. 
We are in a bit of a pickle because she needs to be taking 2 language classes, but they don't offer beginner classes in anything but dutch for 10th grade. We have been told she has to take private tutoring for the other language. It's only like 5 grand a year, so, y'know. Whatevs .
We got to buy her a MacBook. Because at Disney high this is required. 
I am shedding a cynical light, but it really seems like a great school. We have a great feeling about it and we are really hopeful for a great year. Jac is being so positive and open to new opportunities. That, in and of itself, is a real blessing. 
Ryan is in fourth grade. Her teacher is Amy. Not Miss Amy. Not Ms. Anderson. Amy just got here from Florida. She is an awesome and dynamic teacher who is so excited about teaching this year. Ryan's only concerns for the first day of school were : can I take the tooth I lost last night to school? Can I wear the purple shirt Anika gave me? And should I wear rain gear? (It was a beautiful day, she wore them anyway).
Ryan has 3 friends already. Carlotta  ( I know, right?!) Who just got here from Italy and Ryan says she speaks English. I disagree. A little Japanese girl who is beyond cute, but also speaks very little English and Lucy Wilde. Ryan giggles when she says her name. We like the last name Wilde. 
All in all, we are off to a great school year!
As for the Littles. ...
Cam and Bev might start Dutch school on Monday. I am not really sure. The website reads "school starten 1400-1500." On August 24. What does this mean? What school supplies do I need? I saw a class list a few months ago. They are in a class together, but instruction is based on the children's needs. I tried to stress to the instructor that Bev drives Cam insane. Unfortunately, they have never witnessed this and so, they underestimate both children's potential. 
I am going for a school tour today. The guy speaks fairly good English (is that proper English? It's not) so I am hoping for some answers. 

1 comment:

LeAnn said...

Love reading your blog Jaimee - you make me laugh outloud:)
Continue doing awesome things cute girlie!